Voice of the Voiceless

Zara Asad's Voice


It's been a while to finally get this interview and article up onto the blog, but Alhamdulilah! I'm so excited for you all to read this interview and discover the wonderful sister who was yet to make her mark in the world. You get those typical bloggers on Instagram, who seem to be all about the fashion, the hijab tutorials, the selfies and the outfit of the days . Which is all well and good, but then you think is there any sister who actually has an ambition to make a real difference in society and the world we live in today. Is there a place in the world for a Muslim Woman in the media to represent Islam. 

It's been over a year now that I've gotten to know Zara Asad and the more that I've gotten to know her I've discovered how special she truly is. So when I asked if I could interview her and introduce everything she's all about. She didn't even hesitate in the slightest. As a writer you have to dig deep for inspiration and sometimes you'll discover people who have that special something about them, who have a message and something profoundly exceptional they can share with the rest of the world. When you meet someone who possesses even the slightest bit of these qualities then you don't hesitate at all to find out more about them. So the more I discovered, the more I was amazed. What's so beautiful about it is when you discover what Zara Asad wants to set out and achieve, you start to follow her journey. She isn't just Zara's Voice, She's representing  Our Voice, Your Voice, My Voice, The Ummah's Voice, The Voice of the Oppressed, The Voice of those who are afraid, The Voice of those who have untold story, she's the Voice of the Voiceless. 


What is it that Zara’s Voice is all about? And what would you like to showcase to the Ummah? 
Zara Asad: Zara’s Voice is my campaign. It’s an online community I made where people can come together and share their voices, present new ideas, make connections, and ask questions. It’s also a way for people to follow my journey and keep up with what I’m doing. 

I want to showcase passion and capability to the Ummah. So much youth today, has become lost.  They don’t take the concept of goals or their dreams seriously. I want to inspire the youth amongst anyone else. I want them to follow their dreams and make what they dream of happen. I want them to do things that make them happy (even if that sounds cheesy). I want people to break the average mold they’ve been plastered in. I want people to think big and do big things. I want everyone to become the best at what they want to do. I want people to become competitive. I have this vision that if everyone can become insanely passionate, then our Ummah, our communities, our world will thrive because we will have the best doctors, educators, engineers, journalists, etc all of which are passionate about what they do. People who will wake up loving what they do. Think about it, would you want to be treated by a doctor who hates his job?! That thought scares me. 


You’ve recently posted your first YT video which is truly moving! What sorts of videos do you hope to share with people in the future? And what direction do you hope to take as a filmmaker?
Zara Asad: Inspirational videos. Videos of hope, sadness, reality. Videos of people’s stories. Videos that will always have a message behind them. As a filmmaker, I still have a lot to learn and implement. I want to create art and concepts that will last long after I am gone and concepts that will change people for the better.




You’re currently studying journalism and you have such a great passion for it. What fueled your interests to pursue this?
Zara Asad: Wow, this is a heavy question. A great one in fact. I’ve always had a journalist inside of me. As a kid, I was fascinated by people and that fascination only grows as I get older. In school, I ALWAYS got in trouble for “talking too much.” EVERY report card of mine had this comment posted under my grades, “Needs to socialize less.” I was that kid who always asked thousands of questions and today I’m that annoying adult who continues to ask thousands of questions. I was always a social, active, curious, and happy kid. When I entered middle school and high school, the age where you’re trying to find your identity, I started getting involved in humanitarian work, writing a lot, keeping "diaries," getting introduced to spoken word, debates, and public speaking. I never really had an answer to the question, “what do you want to be when you grow up.” I always replied with, "an artist or story teller." Art can take many forms and for me, journalism became that canvas on which I would paint people’s stories. All I was ever sure of when I was a kid was the fact that I wanted to help the world. I wanted to do something big to help people and I found that through story telling. There's so many stories that aren’t shared. There are so many people whose voices aren’t heard. We pay attention and give importance to what someone's wearing and shut out the story of a girl whose been raped somewhere in the world, for example. I never understood why the world works that way, but thats why I decided to start making videos. People like entertainment and I present people’s stories in a way that will make them watch it. 


Who inspires you to carry on with your ambition to make a difference and follow your dreams?
Zara Asad: Lots of things inspire me. The vision I have for myself, inspires me. But, mostly, it’s people. It’s the people I haven’t met, the places I haven’t been that inspire me. When you find what makes your heart jump, you chase after it. For me, it's just being able to do my part and leave something good in the world. To do something new. 

In today’s society there is so much negativity towards not just Islam, but how the women in Islam are often described as “oppressed” by the media. What’s your opinion on this?
Zara Asad: People aren’t educated and not enough Muslim’s speak out so the mass majority is left listening to the media and believing their false accusations. As Muslims, we have to educate ourselves and then it is our duty to teach people. To show them the reality.





If you could stand up for the Women in Islam today, how would you challenge the media?
Zara Asad: By sharing the voices of actual Muslim women. The media tends to talk so much about Muslim women (mostly in a negative way), and there is never any support first hand from actual Muslim women. Why people don’t stop and ask this, blows my mind. The media talks about Muslim women, with made up “facts” and we’re all “ok” with it. THAT bothers me so much. I would challenge their sources, their proofs just as Allah (God) does in the Quran. Where is the proof of such statements? Present them. Let’s have these conversations no one’s having. I’m a Muslim woman. Let’s talk. 



From looking at your Instagram, it truly is a work of art and being one of your followers I can see how your an artist with your vision. What would you say describes your sense of style? And what inspires your artistic vision?
Zara Asad: When it comes to fashion, it depends. As I’m getting older, my fashion sense is changing. I love my high heels, a fresh sleek business suit, to loose boyfriend jeans or a long flowy dress. I love accessories. Good quality accessories are everything. All silver! Afghan, Pakistani jewellery is my favourite. I find art in everything. It could be NYC, fashion magazines, a TV commercial, someones t-shirt, an inspirational or controversial quote by someone. 


What are your goals for the future and what would you like to have achieved in ten years time?
Zara Asad: Oh my gosh, I have so many goals! The list gets longer everyday. But, my biggest and most important goal is to stay on the straight path and not lose myself with the wrong intentions. I want to make sure I don’t get caught up with the wrong crowd who merely sells themselves in order to gain a bigger following for fame. I want to always enjoy what I’m doing and not make it a stress factor.

Within 10 years, I’ve traveled everywhere, I’ve told remarkable stories and I’m continuing to tell them, but on a bigger platform. I’ve opened an orphanage somewhere, I’ve directed at least one film, made lots of documentaries, and I’ve even showcased all my years of work in photojournalism in an art gallery. In 10 years, perhaps it’s finally time that my childhood dream of writing a book is coming true. I’m so excited, I can see myself right now. I’m picking out an outfit for my book signing. In 10 years, maybe I still haven’t reached my ultimate goal of becoming the best journalist of my generation, but I’m still there, smiling, enjoying what I do, and I’m still running, still chasing after my dreams. 





What’s your advice to young Muslim girls today who are afraid to pursue their ambitions? 
Zara Asad: If you don’t act and work for what you want, you’ll lead exactly the life you fear to lead. So get moving! Get up! Do what makes you happy but also something that has a purpose. 





You can follow Zara Asad and her journey via her Youtube Channel 
'The Voice We Share' 
Her Twitter: Zara Asad's Voice
Her Facebook Page: Zara Asad
Her Instagram Page: Zara's Voice







0 JournalFeed:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on your perspective and opinions! ;)

 

Blogroll